New Ipswich,New Hampshire
1.1K views

My Husband & I went to Bernie & Phil's searching for a good quality couch made in America. We were told the Southern Motion was a great company, made in America & the bonded leather would last forever.

That was a lie. My couch & love seat is peeling & cracking. I am embarrassed for any friends or family to even see it or sit on it.

We spent 2,400 on this piece of ***. We are so pissed I just want to throw it out.

Product or Service Mentioned: Southern Motion Furniture Sofa.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Quality and wearibility, Cannot find any phone number to contact them, Construction of chair, Poor design, Price.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Dec 26, 2015.

Comments

roseseek
Santa Maria, California, United States #1095886

Is your upholstery listed as "bonded leather" or as the polyurethane/polyester material? I'm looking at a Southern Motion power motion sofa and the upholstery states the polyurethane/polyester combination and nothing about any leather content.

The salesman at the store also stated it isn't "bonded leather", but I want to make sure it isn't the same material everyone here is having problems with.

I had an Ashley (awful!) motion sofa in their "Durablend" which peeled awfully. Thanks for your explanation.

Southern motion is a good company, with that being said I believe that the salesperson @ the furniture where you purchased your furniture lied to you, bonded leather is the worst material you can buy. It does crack and peel.

maybe you should have done your research before you purchased. I have sold furniture for many years and I would never recommend bonded!!!!!!

roseseek
to Anonymous #1095885

Question, please? Is the polyurethane and polyester upholstery what you're talking about as "bonded leather"?

We had an Ashley "Durablend" which did the whole peeling routine, like an old sunburn. The stores I've visited looking at the Southern Motion furniture sell the polyurethane/polyester or leather, but they also state the poly upholstery isn't the same as the "bonded leather" and shouldn't peel. I'm searching for how they compare as I am not spending $2,000 on another peeling sofa.

Any thoughts, please? Thank you!

Take it out on the furniture store that sold you on bonded leather. This is an issue with most furniture manufacturers that I've researched that have used this material, if not all.

The store lied to you by not fully informing you of the potential problems. Either they withheld information or don't know anything about furniture. I've got a full livingroom suite of Southern Motion furniture in top grain leather. I treat it with leather conditioner every couple of months.

It's just as nice as the day we got it, and our family of 4 use it daily.

We continue to receive compliments on our furniture from guests. I will consider Southern Motion again should we decide to buy more furniture anytime soon.

This is also my dilemma and nobody wants to stand behind this product. Never buy this brand again!!