Gibraltar, Michigan
1K views
100% full Not resolved
2.0
Style and Design

I purchased a recliner at Art Van Furniture.It was sold to me as leather.

I only use the chair 6 mos. out of a year as I am gone the rest of the time. After 1 total year of use, it began to peel. I have little vinyl piece all over.

I contacted the retailer who said they could not do anything because I did not buy their leather kit. What does it matter? The chair is vinyl or plastic. I have other leather recliners that are much older and still look like new.

The chair was not cheap either. I paid over $600.00, about the same price as my other leather chairs.

Southern Most appears to have a bad reputation, as does Art Van.I will spread the word to beware of both of you

This person wrote the review because of bad quality of southern motion furniture recliner from Southern Motion Furniture and attached photo s. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $600 and wants Southern Motion Furniture to issue a full refund.

The most disappointing in user's experience was material and poor quality. Author liked the most color and comfort. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Southern Motion Furniture for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Southern Motion Furniture?

Comments

#1082075

Bonded leather aka "Pleather is horrible!" I would not sell this to my worst enemy.This is typically 17% pulverized leather scrap, mixes with 83% polyurethane.

***, vinyl is better than this, at least it is one solid material. Spend the extra and get Top Grain leather. Or if you want the best, look for Full Grain leather. The difference being, full grain leather is not corrected, you will see all scares, branding, and color variations, but it is the most durable leather around.

Too grain has been corrected, they sand a few millimeters or the top to minimize scaring and various defects.This diminishes the integrity of the leather slightly, but still wears very well.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1082069

First mistake...There are no true leather recliners that are 600.

A good leather recliner starts around 1200. I am a furniture salesman, beware of anything that is vinyl, or bonded leather. These are cheap materials. When looking, make sure to ask for "Top Grain" leather.

There are sales people out there that will steer you wrong.

I am not from Art Van, so this does not apply to me.But I feel sorry that you have been had.

That's bonded leather.It's got a very small percentage of leather, that's ground up and mixed with other materials like vinyl and coloring, then painted onto a cloth backing.

Over time the adhesion breaks down and the thin painted on layer starts to come off. If the store sold it to you as leather, then they lied. They either didn't fully inform you of the potential problems with bonded leather, or they are ignorant of furniture.

This is not a new problem with that material- any furniture manufacturer I researched that uses bonded leather (or they call it something different, but it's still the same material) has had this issue.Get a fabric or top grain leather.