Danny H Dck

Verified Reviewer

I've had my chair replaced two times since 2019 and now it is falling apart again

Southern Motion Furniture - I've had my chair replaced two times since 2019 and now it is falling...
The chair snaps crackle and pops and creeks and snaps the whole cushion is all completely shot both arms are falling off the chair and they tell me that I need to learn how to sit in the chair stay away
Cons:
  • Too many to list

User's recommendation: Stay away from Southern motion

map-marker Sun City Center, Florida

POOR quality and customer service.

Southern Motion Furniture - POOR quality and customer service.
Southern Motion Furniture - POOR quality and customer service. - Image 2

My couch is only 2 1/2 years old and the right side panels are cracking on the right cushion. The same thing happened to the center cushion awhile back.

I purchased a warranty (Furniture Care) and it was replaced and now it is cracking again.

I put in a claim for the right side in September. I was told it would take 12-16 weeks to get the part from Southern motion. 6 weeks pasted and I inquired on the part ordered and was told it was discontinued. They did not give me any options.

I emailed back and asked what my options were under the warranty. They responded and said they would replace the couch. I told them hat was not an option since I have a matching love seat. (Both have been discontinued)

I contacted Southern Motion to ask why I could not get a cushion on a fairly new couch.

To date have not received a response.

Now after many emails the warranty company gave me a credit to pick out a new couch and love seat.

It will not be from Southern Motion. Stay away, poor quality for a lot of money.

User's recommendation: Stay away.

map-marker Ballwin, Missouri

No quality control

Southern Motion Furniture - No quality control
Southern Motion Furniture - No quality control - Image 2
Southern Motion Furniture - No quality control - Image 3
Southern Motion Furniture - No quality control - Image 4

My mother was told Southern motion was a higher end brand and she ordered a leather couch and 2 identical leather recliners. When the couches came the leather was not put on correctly, it looked as if a drunk person had placed it.

Firstly some of the seams were in the wrong places, one piece was definitely turned sideways (two identical recliners in pics attached and the seams are different at the seat and below, the color is different due to lighting). The leather was rippled and pulled the wrong way. The cushion was pushed to the side on the arm rest and the leather was pulled tight over wood with no cushion. It almost looked like a trash bags covering furniture.

They looked so sloppy, it was like some kind of terrible joke.

The store is giving a full refund, but I will still forever avoid this brand. It looks much worse in person, but the different seams is obvious in the pics below.

Shelene Vei

I thought you were just a picky complainer, I looked at your pictures and was shocked?! It really does look like somebody drunk put those chairs together, I had no idea a business can even exist that makes garbage furniture like this?! I bought a Flexsteel rocking recliner, it never squeaks and works fine after 20 years of consistent use, not even the foam has flattened out, but just like La Z boy, they used to be top quality and now they are the same junk as Southern Motion, I wonder if Flexsteel recliners are still good quality?

bill k Ahm

Garbage

I've had their recliner for 6 years. 5 broken springs. I've fixed two of them, the other 3 are inaccessible to me. DO NOT BUY!!!
Cons:
  • Crap workmanship

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: DO NOT BUY

kevin h Cyw

Verified Reviewer

Worst couple of power recliners I have ever owned.

One recliner is power foot and head the other is foot, head, heat, massage and lumbar both units the power supply has gone out multiple times and fabric bunches up where you sit never buy again.
Cons:
  • Poor quality of material
  • Poor quality
  • Poor design

Preferred solution: Two chairs that works.

map-marker Dillsboro, Indiana

Purchased a recliner

My recliner motor lasted less than a year . There is no warranty would never purchase anything else manufactured by this company

User's recommendation: Don’t buy this brand

map-marker Newark, Ohio

Poor quality!

Spring holders on coach broke. The wood frame broke. Couch cushions sink in after only 2 years of use. The fabric comes loose. Lower back cushions lose support as well over a few years. Paid over 1500 on set ( good deal we thought) but not made to last at all. Chair recliner sags to one side because of poor design and cheap parts.

User's recommendation: Don't buy! Warranty is garbage

DChilders

Poor quality

I purchased one of their large recliners for myself, 280 lbs and a smaller one for my wife. NO! Springs broke on mine twice and leather fell apart. The springs on my wifes chair would not keep her reclined.
Cons:
  • Poor quality

Preferred solution: Nothing, lazyboy for me

User's recommendation: Run away

map-marker Chicago, Illinois

Poor Quality and a High Price

Southern Motion Furniture - Poor Quality and a High Price
Southern Motion Furniture - Poor Quality and a High Price - Image 2
Southern Motion Furniture - Poor Quality and a High Price - Image 3
Leather furniture should last at least 12-15 years- leather started to crack and wear through at the 5 year point. Second piece of Southern Motion furniture that I had an issue with. First was a Hi Leg Recliner that was never right from the factory. Very poor quality furniture sold at a premium price since it is made in the USA. Do not buyDo not buy

User's recommendation: Do not buy- garbage!

Michael A Kcx

| map-marker Westford, Massachusetts

Poor quality, not covered by warranty

Southern Motion Furniture - Poor quality, not covered by warranty
Southern Motion Furniture - Poor quality, not covered by warranty - Image 2
Southern Motion Furniture - Poor quality, not covered by warranty - Image 3
We bought an expensive leather sofa and loveseat (manual recline) about 5 years ago from our local Jordans Furniture store. After a few years, the seam which connects the leather to the cheaper vinyl started failing in multiple places. After contacting Jordans Furniture, they said that only the leather portion was covered under the also pricey warranty. Extremely displeased with the quality. Leather furniture should last well past a decade, but the vinyl in between the seats will likely completely separate in the next couple years.

User's recommendation: Do not putchase these products or extended warranties

Guest

I had the same thing happen to our leather LR furniture. The fabric on the sides of the cushions has cracked and decayed after 3 years. The leather and the mechanism are in great shape but do not insert your hand between the cushions.

Michele M Eru

| map-marker Portage, Indiana

The reclining cushions

Southern Motion Furniture - The reclining cushions
Updated by user Mar 10, 2023

They put resolved on my review but it hasn’t been resolved. I have never contacted.

Original review Mar 10, 2023
I bought a sectional with 3 recliners 3 years ago and the recliner cushions look like Ive had the sectional for over 10 years. I bought the extended warranty and they dont cover the cushions. I am embarrassed whenever someone comes over, now after only 3 years I have to go shopping for another sofa and it wont be Southern Motion. I would never recommend them to anyone!! Dont buy from them.

Preferred solution: Cushions repaired

User's recommendation: Don’t buy

rosemary b Cwr

| map-marker Lakewood, Ohio

They went above and beyond customer care

Southern Motion Furniture - They went above and beyond customer care
I had purchased a recliner but needed a remote . the people at southern Motion helped me find a remote [even though this wasnt one of their chairs] and even talked me through installing it ,, Wonderful guys working there!

User's recommendation: helpful and friendly people

henry B Osd

| map-marker Pontotoc, Mississippi

Trying to receive warranty work completion sofa

waited 1 year for delivery now waiting months for warranty repair work to be done. i receive limited information on this seems that if enough time is passed the warranty will be voided big problem is communication waste 10 s of hours on this very dissatisfied,,, plywood? pressed wood? what happened to old fashioned OAK? covid is the biggest excuse .
Loss:
Pros:
  • At this point no up side
Cons:
  • Very difficult to communicate with poor management contacts
  • Difficult to reach them waste my time

Preferred solution: warranty service before it is too late

User's recommendation: look at all reveiws be fore purchase

Guest

You are NOT alone in your complaint against this company. I can't believe they are still in business!

map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

Because I have always bought Lazy-Boy and they have gone down hill Southern motion has them beat ...

Southern motion is Awesome I've probably bought over 15 pieces of Lazy-Boy last 5 we're junk,NOW I ONLY BUY SOUTHERN MOTION JUST BOUGHT A AWESOME RECLINER FINALLY GOT MY MONEY WORTH...GO MISSISSIPPI YOU ROCK...

User's recommendation: Don't buy lazy-boy they are junk now

Guest

You WILL be editing your review in 6 months. Southern Motion is 10X worse than Walmart Furniture!

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2298263

I’ve had my Southern Motion recliners for 10 years.. it is time to replace them, but they’ve been awesome!!

View more comments (1)
Nancy M Log

| map-marker Kansas City, Kansas

Waited 6 months for a custom order and within a month already looking like years old

One of the reclining chairs no longer reclines and the whole chair is loose and poorly made. Also the reclining sofa and love seat look like we have owned and used for years and not just the one month we have had them. All I can say is poor workmanship and had really wanted to by American made. NFM is working with us but this being new I don't think I should settle for anything but replacement.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

User's recommendation: Don't buy

Featured
Penny A

| map-marker Hohenwald, Tennessee

Horrible craftsmanship

I had a Southern Motion loveseat that I purchased several years ago. I absolutely loved it it was so comfortable and it was a seat and a half black bonded leather which I was told actually at the time it wasnt bonded leather it was real leather but eventually it did crack.

However it was still the most comfortable couch I had ever sat on. So I decided to order a new one because my ex bought the old one from me. I custom ordered after looking around in a 100 mile radius of every furniture store that carried it and I finally found the style I was looking for. It wasnt leather it was fabric so I made a custom order and picked my leather not bonded leather but 100% top grain leather and a dark gray.

After waiting over three months to get the couch before Christmas I was told that it had been sent to the wrong place and I would have to wait another 4 to 6 weeks to get it. I finally received it and I was completely shocked at how horrible it looked. Ive never seen an uglier piece of furniture. The right seat back is lower than the left seat back which is considerably higher.

The weather is sewn poorly and it shows when you look at the couch. I was told by the store when they sent someone out here to look at the couch because I was so unhappy that thats the way they make them these days. Cheap and assembly line furniture. Which I was not told when I purchased it.I ordered a couch because I have back problems and my last one really helped me with my back.

This one no matter or where are you sitting you are sitting on a board there is so little cushion you can actually feel the board and the salesman told me yes thats the way they make them now, you cant sit on the edge of the couch and if you sit all the way back youre sitting on a board and when you recline your sitting on a board. It is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture I have ever sat in on. It did not feel like that in the store. Because its a custom order I was told I cannot return it.

When I first complained the sales lady told me that they would let me re-order and this time I could get it right and get exactly what I wanted. I thought thats what I was doing when I ordered it. Then I was told they had to send someone out to look at it. The only thing he wanted to fix was the console which was screwed on crooked.

I told him no that wasnt going to help anything because the couch was so horribly made and uncomfortable. He came out again last week and insisted on fixing the console and by the time he actually got it straight he probably put five or six screws in it so eventually its not going to hold because all the screw holes are together. I am so unhappy and so disappointed with the quality of the workmanship that Southern Motion has these days. When I had my last one I did have a problem with the mechanical piece on the bottom so they ordered me another one and at the time I was going through divorce and I had my furniture in storage by the time it came in months later and they couldnt put it on because my furniture was in storage instead of holding onto it they said Southern Motion told him to send it back.

I kept them informed the entire time that my furniture was in storage And I was traveling and as soon as I got back I was moving into a new house and so they could put the part on. Well they sent it back anyway. The first one I bought at Merlin TV store in Idaho Falls, Idaho the second one I bought at BF Myers in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. I am so unhappy I absolutely hate this couch and I paid $1859 for it.

I did order 100% top grain leather and hopefully thats what I got.

But it doesnt matter because the couch is so ugly and so uncomfortable I cannot stand to even look at it much let have to sit on it. I cannot believe that American made company like Southern Motion who used to be a pretty good company is putting out such poor quality products now.

Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don’t buy

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article